Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Long December

The last couple of days haven't been too bad pain wise. I went back to work on Friday and worked 11 to 7 with only one major episode of pain. Sitting down and eating lunch seemed to help a lot and, by the end of the day, it was no worse than it has been the last couple of months. I worked 1:30 to 10:15 last night and didn't have any major episodes at all. The pain got worse at times, but not like it has been this week.

My body picked a really good time to give me a reprieve from all this. Ben's grandma passed away Friday night, so it has allowed me to be able to give him more attention than I think I would have been able to do otherwise. After work on Friday, my parents watched Robbie so I could go be with Ben for awhile.

Tomorrow is my second appointment with the surgeon at 9am, which will hopefully yield in a surgery date. Then we are driving down to McAlester and staying until sometime Tuesday to be with his family and for the funeral. I'm not sure how well I'll handle the car ride. It's two hours and fifteen minutes according to the GPS on my phone. The 45 minute drive to Chicksha two weeks ago to take Robbie to the Festival of Lights left me in a bad state. But at least I'm forewarned now and can take painkillers beforehand.

Today I've been feeling pretty good and so have been a productive little house elf. I got some laundry done for Tuesday, washed my new sheets -king size Jersey knit in black, woot!-, stripped my bed and got the old egg crate mattress pad off. I've been meaning to get that old pad off for months. I even bought a new memory foam mattress topper for when I finally did. I've just never gotten around to it. It was finally the concept of having to come home from surgery and sleep on that old thing that finally kicked me into action. It's uncomfortable as it is, I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be after having a major organ taken out. But now it's done and the egg crate has found its final resting place in the trash. The memory foam mattress topper is now on the bed and fluffing itself out as we type.

Speaking of memory foam mattress toppers, those things are a BITCH to unroll. I figured it'd be hard getting it out of the box. That was the easy part. You just dump it out. Cutting the shrink wrap was a bit tricky since you don't want to cut the memory foam. But them you get to unroll it out of the plastic, onto the bed, unfold parts while pushing and pulling on others. At one point, I had to do a really tricky maneuver of pulling and holding one piece and pushing the weight of my body against the rest of it to get it to budge. Not fun. It left me laying on the damn thing, very out of breath and amazed at how it now looks like I have a large strip of bread dough on my bed.

Let me tell you something about laundry though, after 28 years I still have yet to find an easy way to fold a fitted sheet, nor do I have a reasonable explanation as to why the washer will turn one pillow case inside out and not the other.

Now that the laundry is done, I'm going to give the mattress topper a couple of days to finish fluffing before making it up. It looks like it's done unfolding and settling, but the directions said wait at least 24 hours. Since I've been sleeping on the couch due to comfort reasons, this won't be a problem. will on the grounds I really want to sleep in my new-old bed. Ah, paitence. Such a pain in the ass virtue at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment