Friday, December 23, 2011

Post Op Fun

The surgery last Thursday went well. It didn't take them long to discover the source of my pain once they were in there. My gallbladder was about the size of a softball, roughly three times larger than what it shouldn't been. They were still able to get it out with the laproscope, but it stretched the incision they took it out through. That incision has hurt and bruised a bit more than the others, which they warned me would happen.

Overall, the recovery hasn't been too bad. I'm hurting, stiff and sore as expected. But no pain in my back anymore and the only pain I feel under my ribs is the internal soreness from where my gallbladder was. I'm hesitant to say this is easier than what I was dealing with. While it certainly seems so, it could be psychological since I know this won't last. Plus the painkillers make it a hell of a lot easier pain wise.

The worse part has been the nausea. I'm on Loritab 7.5 and side effect goes back and forth from a slight nauseous feeling to being sick as a dog. Take it from me, being that sick after abdominal surgery really sucks. It just makes you hurt more, which makes you take more painkillers, which just makes you sicker.

I've decided after surgery, you are always in one of three states. In pain, comfortable and sleepy, or sick as hell. The gray areas between those states are just the transition period from one to the other. You can jump back and forth between in pain and sick as hell quicker than you can go from in pain to comfortable and sleepy. And you can go from comfortable and sleepy to either in pain or sick as hell really quick.

The fun of pain killers. But it's better than the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment